Author: BelieveAgain

A federal judge on Wednesday temporarily blocked the Trump administration from implementing multi-agency layoffs during the federal government shutdown, sparing an already depleted U.S. Department of Education from further reductions—at least for now.Susan Illston, a San Francisco-based U.S. district judge, sided with the unions that brought the case against the Trump administration, which represent thousands of federal workers who were laid off in the last week. She said she believes they will “demonstrate ultimately that what’s being done here is both illegal and is in excess of authority and is arbitrary and capricious.”Trump administration officials, she said during a Wednesday…

Read More

A divided federal appeals court has sided with Michigan school administrators who barred students from wearing shirts with the phrase “Let’s Go Brandon!”, which gained traction as a coded message of opposition to then-President Joe Biden.The 2-1 decision this week by a panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit provides some important guidance to educators on when they can prohibit speech promoting a “vulgar message” in schools, even if doesn’t contain actual expletives or is political in nature. “The Constitution doesn’t hamstring school administrators when they are trying to limit profanity and vulgarity in the classroom…

Read More

Office of Elementary and Secondary Education – at least 132 staff members laid off This office houses the majority of the department’s K-12 grant programs. Office of Discretionary Grants and Support Services Effective Educator Development Program • Charter Schools Program (CSP) Competitive grants supporting the establishment and maintenance of charter schools. The Education Department in May invested an additional $60 million in this program by pulling funds from other programs.Annual funding: $440 millionTrump proposal: $500 million • American History and Civics Competitive grant supporting civics education programs in schools and nonprofit partners. The Education Department supercharged investment in this program in September…

Read More

Oklahoma’s new public schools superintendent announced Wednesday he is rescinding a mandate from his predecessor that forced schools to place Bibles in classrooms and incorporate the book into lesson plans for students.Superintendent Lindel Fields said in a statement he has “no plans to distribute Bibles or a Biblical character education curriculum in classrooms.” The directive last year from former Superintendent Ryan Walters drew immediate condemnation from civil rights groups and prompted a lawsuit from a group of parents, teachers, and religious leaders that is pending before the Oklahoma Supreme Court. It was to have applied to students in grades 5…

Read More

The U.S. Department of Education on Tuesday took the next step in firing more than 250 office for civil rights employees who have been in professional limbo since March, just days after the agency slashed hundreds of other positions during the federal government shutdown.The department sent out notices to the civil rights employees telling them their last day on the payroll would be Nov. 3. The notices, obtained by Education Week, came more than two weeks after a federal appeals court said the Education Department could proceed with the layoffs while litigation challenging cutbacks that have shrunken the civil right…

Read More

The U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday declined to review another case involving school district practices on gender identity—its third since last year—with three justices suggesting that the issue is one of “great and growing national importance” that the court will likely need to address in the future.Meanwhile, the justices declined to hear an appeal from conservative media figure Alex E. Jones of a $1.4 billion defamation and emotional distress judgment won by families of 15 victims of the 2012 mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School after Jones alleged on his internet and radio platforms that the tragedy was staged…

Read More

The small team overseeing special education programs at the U.S. Department of Education was thrilled when Education Secretary Linda McMahon announced in May one of her chief priorities would be improving literacy through evidence-based practices. It seemed to align perfectly with another initiative the office of special education programs had been planning to bolster achievement among different student populations by the end of 3rd grade.But the onslaught of cuts at the Education Department that had severed nearly half the agency’s staff by March through layoffs and buyout offers made it all but impossible to pursue it. Though the office of…

Read More

A governmentwide reduction in force during the federal shutdown will touch an already lean U.S. Department of Education, the Trump administration said Friday, with the department’s office of elementary and secondary education potentially facing some of the most significant cuts.An Education Department spokesperson Friday confirmed the agency will be subject to the RIF but did not immediately answer how many positions would be part of the downsizing and in which department divisions. A spokesperson from the Office of Management and Budget—whose director, Russell Vought, announced the layoffs in a Friday post on X—called the government-wide reduction “substantial.”The Education Department’s office…

Read More

President Donald Trump laid out his agenda for education in no uncertain terms in the first days of his second term: expand private school choice and scale back the federal role in education.A handful of early executive orders illustrated this message. He directed agency leaders to investigate how they could dispense public dollars for school choice, and he called for the secretary of education to facilitate the dismantling of her own department.In roughly eight months, the U.S. Department of Education under Trump has issued several pieces of guidance telling states how to use existing federal funds and provisions to promote…

Read More

A full federal appeals court said late Monday that it will review the constitutionality of Louisiana’s law requiring the display of the Ten Commandments in public schools.The decision raises the stakes for the Louisiana law, which was originally set to take effect on Jan. 1 of this year but had been blocked by a district judge and a three-judge appellate panel. It also keeps the issue from reaching the U.S. Supreme Court for now, where Ten Commandments supporters hope the court’s conservative majority will be receptive to their arguments.In June, a unanimous three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals…

Read More